Monday, March 2, 2015

Our (Dog) Adoption Story

Look at that face!! This is the newest addition to our family, Loki! (Yes, like Marvel.) 


Ryan and I had been talking about wanting a dog for a few years. We had both grown up with dogs in our homes and knew that we wanted at least one in our own. There were a few issues, though, that stopped us from looking into adoption sooner. 

Allergies: I have the weirdest allergies when it comes to dogs. I'm allergic to some but not all, and breed has absolutely nothing to do with it. I could even be allergic to some dogs from the same litter and not others. There's literally no way of knowing until I've spent 'enough' time with a dog, but even the necessary time varies! For this reason, I've been so scared that we'll pick out a dog, bring him home, fall in love, and then have to take him back because I can't breathe. 

Money: You guys, dogs can be expensive. Adoption fees, supplies, food, treats, it all adds up fast. We wanted to make sure we had enough leftover each month to be able to provide for our puppy child in the best way. 

Time: Is there ever a good time to introduce chaos into your life? 

So long story short, the day after I got my full-time job offer (money, check!), Ryan was looking at the Humane Society's website and there was an adorable one year old dog named Loki who had been dropped off on his birthday. We went to see him and basically fell in love on the spot. After 15 minutes of petting him and rubbing my face, I wasn't sneezing. (Allergies, check!) We filled out the paperwork, and 20 minutes later we were on our way home with our little boy. 

Almost one month later, we couldn't be happier about our new form of chaos. He is a bundle of energy, loves snow, and is respectful during #TGIT by not knocking over my red wine. 




2 comments: