Thursday, November 13, 2014

She's Got a Blank Space, Baby

I’m going to say something that’s going to upset a lot of Taylor Swift fans.

I think she went too far in her new music video for Blank Space.

Don’t get me wrong – Blank Space is hands down my favorite song on 1989. It’s sassy, incredibly relatable, and just so Taylor. For the most part, I like the video. It’s over the top, and I get what she’s trying to do. I like that she’s self-aware enough to parody how crazy the media portrays her when it comes to relationships. Haters gonna hate hate hate…

But... I think she took it too far. Even though she’s clearly acting, I don’t think it’s okay to shove her ‘boyfriend’ during a fight. I don’t think it’s okay to throw a flowerpot at his head with the (acted) intent of causing him pain. I don't think it's okay to show Taylor's younger audience, who may not understand that this is a parody, that there is a blurred line between verbal and physical arguments. 

Scrolling through my Twitter feed, I've seen how excited every girl is about this video. At the same time, I've been thinking about outraged every one of those girls would be if the genders were reversed. If we saw a music video that portrayed a man shoving a woman and throwing a large, solid object at her head out of pure jealousy, we would be horrified. Social media would have blown up the other way - not out of enthusiasm, but out of anger. 

Is it because of solidarity that Taylor seems to be immune from this sort of scrutiny? Is it because 1989 is new and shiny, and Taylor is on top of the world? It can't be because of feminism, because feminism is about equality, not power over men. 

I don't have an answer, but I am genuinely curious to hear what you think. Watch the video below, and let me know what you think about Blank Space! 



2 comments:

  1. You brought up some really good points! I do like the video, but I personally didn't like the Shake It Off video either. Tay Tay, you took it too far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some great points about the video. I really didn't see it that way until reading your post. It's scary the statistics now of high schoolers being in abusive relationships thinking their love is just passionate... scary stuff, thanks for posting on this!

    ReplyDelete