Thursday, November 6, 2014

Neil Patrick Harris - Choose Your Own Autobiography: A Review

Haaave you met Neil? 


I was honestly so excited when I saw that Neil Patrick Harris was putting out an autobiography. I may not have grown up with Doogie, but I was hooked on How I Met Your Mother from the first episode. I know all the words to his Tony performances, and I am so unbelievably jealous of everyone who got to see Hedwig and the Angry Inch on Broadway. The book? Well...

I need to talk about two aspects of this book, one that I loved and one that I was disappointed by. 

I loved Neil's writing. Throughout the whole book, I found myself laughing, crying, and really thinking about what he was saying. Every word was so authentically, unapologetically him. Every section is written in second person, so as a reader, it's like you're feeling all of his feelings. I loved learning about his early life with David Burtka and their surrogate process. I cried when I read how he talks about his twins. (There's a passage where he describes taking them to Disney for the first time and re-experiencing childhood through their eyes. Cue all the waterworks.)  

But at the same time...

I hated the structure of this book. I totally get what he was trying to do - Choose Your Own Adventure. It was exactly like the Goosebumps books that I read growing up. Except with the Goosebumps books, I didn't care if I never found out what happened if I took the creepy staircase instead of going towards the scream that I heard outside. I so wanted to read every single word that Neil wrote in this book, but the structure made it difficult. I started at the beginning 4 times and still never made it to sections about How I Met Your Mother or Doogie Howser. At one point I was seriously considering making a spreadsheet to track page numbers and paths, but reading shouldn't be that hard. I also wish there were more pictures scattered throughout. 

All in all, I'd give this book a 3 out of 5. It's one that I'll come back to eventually with the hope of learning more about Neil, but also one that I gave up on the fourth time I reached the same happy, present-day ending. 

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are, of course, my own. 

2 comments:

  1. It's a choose your own adventure book? That's pretty cool, but I think it'd be really difficult to read on a kindle. or no?

    ReplyDelete