Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Holidays are Confusing

This year's holidays are more stressful to me than in years past. Ryan and I have been trying to do more things with all sides of our families, but that gets so confusing around the holidays. It's definitely a learning year for us, but I feel like I have a continuous stream of questions swirling around in my head. 

How do we divide our time evenly? 

Is it appropriate to wear leggings to Thanksgiving if they're burgundy and look like a cable knit sweater?  

Will there be anything besides potatoes and potatoes and potatoes that will be veggie-friendly at his family's Thanksgiving? 

Even more importantly, will the potatoes even be veggie-friendly!?

How far into the fiance's extended family do I buy/make presents for? 

Will people appreciate homemade gifts this year even though crafting for other people seems like less of a fad than it was a few years ago? 

What am I going to talk about with all of these people at so many events so close together? 

How will we adjust going back and forth between his loud, boozy family, and my more quiet, reserved family?

How long will it take until I get super overwhelmed by all of the people? (I blame this on being an introvert and an only child.)

I think I need to just take a few deep breaths and remember that the holidays are first and foremost a time to spend with loved ones. But really, how do I make it through without feeling totally lost and overwhelmed? Help! 


3 comments:

  1. I can totally and completely relate to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so us too! His family is loud, boozy, and there are 23 cousins on ONE side. Holidays for me growing up was always just my parents and sister. It's an adjustment, but 8 years later - I've learned to love my time with his family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really can't answer your questions. Except that I think it is totally acceptable to wear those leggings. As long as you two are on the same page, you should be good.

    ReplyDelete