Thursday, October 9, 2014

Seasonal Recipes: Crockpot Chili

Even though I'm an almost-vegetarian, that doesn't mean that meat isn't cooked in our house. Ryan makes a huge batch of chili at least twice a year, and today he's here to tell you about it! 

Ryan: 
So about two years ago I decided to recreate a recipe for chili.  I used to make it much more complex with beans, corn and various other things. It had gotten fairly complicated, and I wanted to go back to basics.  This is the recipe that I came up with! Ever I started bringing it into our work potlucks, I've had so many requests for it. One of my coworkers even made a point to hunt me down and ask if I was bringing it for our most recent event.  The recipe also works well with ground venison substituted for either all or half of the beef. (I personally prefer 1 lb ground beef and 1 lb venison.)  I hope you all enjoy it.  

Serves: 
12-16

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
28 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
2 29 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped 
2 serrrano peppers, finely chopped
2 1/2 Tbs. chili powder
2 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. salt
5/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Preparation:
Saute beef in a skillet until lightly brown. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. 

Add cooked beef, onions, tomato sauce, drained diced tomatoes, and peppers into a 6 quart crockpot and turn on high. 



Cook for approximately 4 hours, adding seasonings in increments. Modify seasonings to taste. 


Serve immediately alone, over pasta, or with crackers. 


The remainder can be refrigerated or frozen. Enjoy! 


2 comments:

  1. Oh yay! A tasty chili recipe without beans!! I don't have much against beans but the texture of them in a chili for some reason freak me out. I'll definitely DEFINITELY give this a go! The hubs will be all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM- Thanks for sharing, Ryan!! I love chili, but have honestly never made it in a crockpot. Next time I'll do this version!

    ReplyDelete