Tuesday, September 9, 2014

What Happens After Gilmore Girls?

For those of us who grew up watching Gilmore Girls, we always knew what was coming next. When I was in middle school, Rory was entering Chilton. Even though I didn't go to private school, Rory prepared me for mean girls, AP classes, and the protocol for inviting your on-the-rocks boyfriend to the 24 hour dance marathon in your hometown. (Did anyone else think it would be weird to have Dean just sit there and watch her dance?) I learned that it was okay to wallow. 

 I was in high school when Rory went to college. I learned how dangerous Spring Break can be (no windows) and that the most exciting, fulfilling relationships, romantic or otherwise, are those that surprise you and push you out of your comfort zone. By not getting back together with Jess when she was in college, Rory taught me that we all make mistakes. Sometimes our "one" doesn't work out like the rest of the world think it's supposed to. 

When Rory graduated college and turned down Logan's proposal, I was surprised, but mostly it made sense. She found a job and was going out into the world on her own. She never needed a man; it was always about her family, then her career, then boys. But here I sit, getting ready to graduate in the spring, not yet having found a full-time job, and engaged. I always knew what the next chapter of my life was going to hold - I just had to look at Rory's journey. The details didn't line up, but I was prepared. I generally knew what was coming. But now? I have no idea. 

Rory influenced me in more ways than I think I even realize. After watching Rory's Dance, I carried a book with me everywhere I went. I wrote for my high school paper. We even had the same undergraduate major. I adored Dorothy Parker. I tried to make as many quippy pop culture references as I could, as fast as possible. I studied hard. I aimed to be strong and independent. 

So, what happens after Gilmore Girls? What does my life look like after Gilmore Girls stops showing me the way? I don't know, but I'm more than okay with that. It's like Rory said at the end of the second-to-last episode, "There are just a lot of things right now in my life that are undecided. And that used to scare me, but now I kind of like the idea that it's just all kind of...wide open."

source

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh I love this post! I love love love Gilmore Girls and it has influenced my life in so many ways too. Mainly I quote it ALL THE TIME and also in every day situations I say things like "OMG that happened to Rory," or "Remember when Lorelai and Luke did ____," like they are real people haha. Seriously, that show is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, yes. Our paths all take us different ways--but the outcome is generally the same. It's this time that you start to really identify what is important TO YOU and what YOU want, and working towards making those things happen. Unfortunately, there's no script for this part (as much as we wish there were). And it's probably going to be hard--because self discovery always is--but once we're tossed over that cliff of college graduation, we have to figure out what opens our own parachute. And we'll try what our friends did to open theirs, but ours won't open. That's when you'll realize it's more important to follow your own path and what makes you happy. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete