Monday, August 25, 2014

Vibrant Food: A Review

Remember when I posted about how Ryan and I were trying to find healthy food options? I found a cookbook that's going to help get us there! 

I have this problem where I buy a cookbook for one or two recipes, knowing full well that I won't make the rest of what is in the book. It's hard, being a 95% vegetarian, to find a cookbook that works. I like most fish, and I love eating food that's fresh and in season. Vibrant Food by Kimberley Hasselbrink is a perfect combination of seasonal, healthy recipes, and I want to try them all! While this isn't a strictly vegetarian cookbook, very few recipes have meat. There are two chicken recipes, a handful of fish recipes, but most focus on the fruits and vegetables of each season. This book has a little bit of everything - appetizers, drinks, main dishes, and desserts, all categorized by season! 


I got a little ahead of myself and picked a recipe from the Autumn section of this book. I chose to make the Apple Sage Walnut Bread, and I could not be more pleased with the result!  The bread is light and flavorful, and I loved that applesauce and Greek yogurt were substituted for butter. I had almost all of the ingredients in my cupboard already, making this bread easy and inexpensive! 


Up next on my list to make are Crab Cakes with Poached Eggs and Soba Noodles with Kabocha Squash in a Mellow Japanese Curry! 

I received this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are, of course, my own. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that bread sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete