Friday, August 29, 2014

My Inspiration

I feel like I should start out by saying that I hate exercise. Every year, I make the resolution that I'm going to run my first 5k. One year I got really crazy and wrote that I was going to run a half marathon. Every year, I fail. (I've never run more than 1.5 miles straight in my whole life.) Every day that Ryan and I have planned a workout, I come home from the office dead tired and literally no motivation to get my butt on that treadmill. I try every excuse in the book to get out of it. 

Yesterday was the same old story. Rush hour sucked, we still had to pack for our long weekend get-away, and we were having TACOS for dinner and I wanted them NOW. But, after my usual routine of whining, I put on my sports bra, laced up my tennis shoes, and got on that damn treadmill. And I ran. 

I told myself I'd do 5 minutes and walk the rest. 5 minutes passed, and I thought about how I've been telling my dad I want to do a 5k with him for years. I kept going. 8 minutes. I thought about how my dad, who recently turned 60, takes a bootcamp class that starts with a 2 mile run. 10 minutes. I was so close to running a mile, something I hadn't done since high school. 12 minutes, 1 mile. I literally could not imagine running it any faster, but my dad finishes 3.1 miles in 30 minutes. 16 minutes later I stopped running, totally spent, but completely inspired. This year. This year will be the year. Whether it be a Turkey Trot, or the Memorial Day Eagle Run in our hometown, I'm following through. My dad and I, 3.1 miles, side by side. (Unless he leaves me in the dust. Which, let's be honest, is probably very likely.) 

Dad and me at the Girl Scout hoe down. Yes, I'm
dressed as Jessie from Toy Story 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment