Monday, June 30, 2014

Ikea Adventures


Ikea, you will be the death of me.
I was so unbelievably excited when I learned there was going to be an Ikea put in less than 2 hours from where I live. I was even more excited when it opened a little while back. I love the price and I love the style of the pieces. The problem is, because the store is 1 hour and 45 minutes away, going to Ikea becomes an event. A day-long event where the thought of sticking to the budget that you set beforehand is just that – a thought.
Here’s how Sunday went:
Ryan and I set off bright and early with coffee, tea, and bagels in tow, feeling confident. We were going to get a dresser and absolutely nothing else. Except maybe batteries. And a cactus. And pillows. But only if they’re on sale. (Who were we kidding, the whole store is a sale.)

We arrived at Ikea. “Should we even look in the show room?” Ryan asked me. “We know exactly what we came here for.” “Just really fast!” I said. “To get ideas to redo the bathrooms.” Big mistake.
We’d been eyeing this couch for the past few times that we’d come to Ikea. There it was again, in all its cushy, soft, comfy glory.
Then we made the biggest mistake we could have possibly made that day. We sat down on the couch.
Just as we were saying that their shipping prices were too high, that we should wait to get it, a nice saleswoman comes over to explain that shipping was currently at half price. How could we not order it!?
We went to Ikea to buy a dresser. We came home with a dresser, a glass top for the dresser, a wrap-around couch, decorative pillows for the couch, batteries, pillows for the bed, and a little cactus. Whoops. What was supposed to be a 1 hour in-store trip turned into almost 5. The couch isn’t going to be delivered until next Sunday, so we couldn’t even collapse on it when we got home 8 ½ hours later.
 

Expectation


Reality

Linking up with Rachael!

4 comments:

  1. There are so many pieces that I want from Ikea!! I wish that there was one closer to me, but the nearest one would be the Atlanta one, which is 3 hours away. I'm still going to make a trip once I get a job because I didn't move down any of my bedroom furniture with me. I'm glad you got everything that you wanted and then some! :) Enjoy that new couch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IKEA is hh best place to find cute stuff on the cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe Ikea is 2 hours away - how mad are you going to be when I say I have 3 within 30 minutes of me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is great. Also, you're really such an adult and I can't even handle it! haha.

    ReplyDelete