Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Turned Off

This past weekend, I drove up to Cleveland to visit my mom for Mother's Day and to spend some time with my dad and my dog! My dad's house doesn't have internet, or cable, much less a tv. It sounds superficial, but I used to dislike staying there because I didn't have access to anything! I would get bored really easily. I would feel left out of social media even though I could get it on my phone. I was just a mess. 

This trip, I decided, was going to be different. I packed my current Jodi Picoult book and my Kindle. I packed dresses and new makeup that I've been wanting to play with. I made plans with Rachael go on my first blate. (More on that tomorrow!) I tried to limit the time spent on my phone. Instead of the usual feelings of sans-technology stress and withdrawal, I felt relaxed. Instead of wasting my time on Facebook, I read 1 1/2 books and daily devotionals. I was more engaged in conversation. I was present.

Technology is incredible, but I think it's important to let yourself step away every once in a while. So, yes, I was behind on my planned posts. I had to wait an extra day to "like" my friends' graduation pictures. But the world didn't end like I thought it would in years past. In actuality, the world looks a bit brighter. 

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad we got to hang out, I had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is this?? You two hanging out without me?? Not cool!!

    Also- I love weekends with no (or at least limited technology). Phone service is very minimal at my parents house...so I tend to just put the phone away for the weekend and enjoy being with them!! Always makes for a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete