Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Not So Little Things

I've been seeing a lot of people starting the #100happydays challenge on Instagram, and looking at these posts makes me happy. I like seeing the sunsets, the cups of coffee. I like imagining the person smiling as they write their hashtags and hit "post." I like that people are using social media to do more than complain or seek validation. I like that people are happy.

It got me thinking about that phrase, "Appreciate the little things." Why are the things that make us so happy considered "little things?" According to social media, people's days are dominated by work and chores and general unhappiness, but is this really the case? Yes, I'm struggling my way through grad school and paper writing is frustrating and time consuming and I don't like my job, but I try (and sometimes fail) to focus on the positives. I want to remember this time in my life for the time spent exploring restaurants and bars around town, for the laughs heard, for the shopping sprees had. I want my posts to reflect that.

I'm guilty of using Twitter to complain, of posting a picture just to marvel at the absurdity. I'm guilty of screenshotting someone else's complaining and texting it around for a laugh. But in general, I try to post more happy pictures than bad, more excited tweets than depressed. Social media is an outlet for stress, but also a way to share positive attitudes. I'm a happier person seeing other people happy. (Positive posts give you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands. They just don't.)

I have no intention to start 100 Happy Days, although of all bandwagons to jump on, this is a great one. I will continue to enjoy other's Happy Days posts for the 96 days they have left, (although, let's be honest, most will trail off somewhere around day 15) and will continue to post unnumbered pictures and posts about things that make me happy. Because, for me, these aren't the little things. They're the big things that make my life special and worth living.

How happy does this face make you? I need a corgi so badly. For the snuggles and the cuteness. 

1 comment: