Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Keeping Perspective

A little bit of real talk - I am not the biggest fan of my current job. (By "not the biggest fan," I mean that I have absolutely dreaded going to work every day for the past month.) I work in an after school program with monsters middle school kids in grades 6-8. On a weekly basis I'm ignored and cursed at in multiple languages. I leave almost every day with a headache. I have a hard time leaving work at work - I mull over my day after leaving and wake up the next morning wondering what fresh hell is waiting for me in the classroom. 

I've been at it for 5 1/2 months, and there's about 3 months left in the kids' school year. After a complete breakdown  calm conversation with Ryan last night, I realized that I was looking at the situation in an unnecessarily negative way. I'm gaining experience. I'm working to live on my own and pay my bills. I'm saving, albeit minimally. And it will all be over in 3 months. No more kids, no more screaming, no more cursing, no more anything. 

I'm making it a goal to go into that school with a positive attitude and a smile on my face every day. When kids give me trouble, I'll remind myself that I'm lucky to be working and think of the wine I have waiting for me at home. Meanwhile, I'll be frantically applying for new jobs and counting down the days until spring break. 

3 months more... 3 more months. 


2 comments:

  1. Ugh I'm sorry you're going through this but what a good attitude you have towards it now! You got this girl, 3 more months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry it's been so sucky. :( I'll be counting down FOR you! :)

    ReplyDelete