Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Successful Schizophrenia

This past Tuesday, one of my favorite authors came to visit Ohio University and the Athens Public Library! Are any of you fans of Jodi Picoult?
I've been reading her books since early high school, and to say I was thrilled to see her speak is quite the understatement. Jodi (we're on a first name basis) visited the Athens library for a quick interview and book signing and then gave a longer lecture at Ohio University later in the evening. My mom and I, excited fans that we are, attended both events and were in awe of her strength and conviction as an author and as a woman. 

Do you remember that scene from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (movie) where Mrs. Weasley is fighting her way to meet Gilderoy Lockhart, huge stack of books in tow? That was my mom and me at the Athens library. Combined, we hauled 7 books up for Jodi to sign and fought our way to the near front of an eager crowd. When I set them down on the table she exclaimed, "Wow, are these all yours?!" as though after 25 years as a published author, she is still surprised that people enjoy her work as much as they do. 

Lots of books for Jodi to sign!
What I most enjoyed was listening to Jodi speak at Ohio University. She discussed the idea of "truth in fiction," and talked about the many experiences that she's had while researching for her books. (Ghost hunting, elephant riding, "if you can name it, [she's] done it." During the Q&A, another guest at the lecture asked how real the characters in Jodi's books are to her. She said that she can hear the characters in her mind as she writes. "Writing is like successful schizophrenia," she said. "I get paid to hear voices in my head." I've heard several authors speak in the past, and some of them make it sound like such a chore. Jodi's passion and excitement for learning, researching, and writing truly came through. I cannot wait to read more of her work
My mom and I hanging out with Jodi 
Who are some of your favorite authors?


1 comment:

  1. That's awesome- I'm so jealous!! I love Jodi Picoult!

    ReplyDelete